Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mangoes blossoming between banana breads...

So... After posting a couple weeks ago I sat down with my Mom and maid a menu. I figured I could legitimately make 3 meals a week... She had a sweet idea to choose a type of food for each day. I chose Spanish, Asian and what else...American. It's important to me that I can crossover from one recipes ingredients to another. So what I decided was Chicken Fajitas, Chicken Stir Fry and my sister Alicia's AMAZING butternut squash soup. So Monday I went out and bought all my ingredients for all three meals (except the butternut squash because I wanted it fresh). I planned Fajita Tuesday, Stir fry Thursday and butternut squash Friday or Saturday (I'm flexible). And Saturday morning when I hadn't cooked AT ALL I decided I better try something so the whole week wasn't a wash. I chose Stir Fry I think this stir fry was a tasty success.... if you don't consider the tummy trouble after :\ ..... I'm not quite sure what it was...maybe the 3 day old chicken (it'd been refrigerated, I get a little credit), or the veggies I forgot to wash, or the side of black beans (yeah I know black beans and stir fry don't really go...) but I ate it again the next day and it was fine so I'll chalk it up as a success!

So this week...I made grilled cheese and tomato soup (Campbell's mm mmm good). And while that was a tasty tasty dinner my real triumph was this morning.... I decided that it was time to use the 6 little brown bananas sitting on my kitchen counter. So I called my sister Angie for a banana bread recipe. I used to make banana bread ALL the time my sophomore year of college but that was back in 2003.... So I went at it again. Since I don't have a bread pan I used a bunch of little miniature foil bread pans. Which was perfect because I don't know what happened but I got this creative flair and went a little goofy.... 1 is just plain 4 have Cocoa powder (2 of them have it on top and 2 have it swirled in) and 2 have coconut shavings on top :) mmmm I'm so excited for it! My little bumps of banana bread are raising as we speak. Then I had a brilliant tropical flash of inspiration! Last week my Mom gave me a couple Mangoes..... and my good friend Hannah always used to eat mangoes with lime squeezed on it... So in about 5 minutes I will be smelling the warm citric aroma of Lemon Banana Mango bread... 4 fruits in a great carbohydrate blend.... I'm excited for my creation and even more excited that I invented!!! Eeek!

4 comments:

  1. yummy!!! Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since when do you have a blog?? I think that basically sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Kate. I'll bet that banana bread had a wondrous aroma. yummm, I can almost taste it. I believe that your are a great creative cook. You know the nut doesn't fall far from the tree, so there are a lot of nutty cooks in your family (& mine), that's the only safe way for your Mom to have nuts. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete